- Ph.D, Texas A&M University- College Station. 2007
- Reader-F, National Centre for Biological Sciences, Bangalore, India. 2014 to 2023
- Postdoctoral Researcher, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX. 2007 to 2014
- Graduate Research Assistant, Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Texas A& M University, College Station, TX. 2001 to 2006
- Research Officer, Unilever, Bangalore, India. 2000 to 2001
- RNA structure and function
Areas of interest
Antimicrobial Resistance, RNA-based detection and diagnostics, non-coding RNA
Honors and Awards
- Co-PI on Institution of Eminence Grant: Dec 2021 – Dec 2023. “To develop a low-cost field ready kit and detection panel for COVID-19 variants and common respiratory viruses”. This is a collaboration with the lab of Akash Gulyani (primary PI on grant, Univ. Of Hyderabad, India).
- HFSP Young Investigator: Dec 2019- Dec 2022. “From self-reproduction to evolution in the RNA world”. This is a collaboration with the labs of Philippe Nghe (CNRS, France), Eric Hayden (BSU, USA) and Matteo Smerlak (MPI-Leipzig, Germany).
- DST-SERB Early Career Award, Mar 2017- Mar 2020. “Control of ribosome biogenesis by RNAs and RNA-binding proteins”.
- Wellcome/DBT India Alliance Intermediate Fellowship. Mar 2015- 2020, “Structural mechanisms of RNA-mediated gene regulation in bacteria”
- Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellowship. (gratefully declined) “Structural and functional mechanisms of riboswitches and small regulatory RNAs in bacteria”
- Aparna Nandavaram, Anirudh Nandakumar, G. M. Kashif, Annapoorni Lakshman Sagar, G. Shailaja, Arati Ramesh* & Dayananda Siddavattam*. “Unusual relationship between Iron deprivation and organophosphate hydrolase expression”, Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2023, 89(5).
- Anirudh CS, Anirudh KN, Geen George, Shyamsundar Ranganathan, Nishan Shettigar, Suchitta U, Akash Gulyani* and Arati Ramesh*. “Engineered RNA biosensors for ultrasensitive SARS-Cov2 detection in a simple color and luminescence assay”. Life Science Alliance Sep 2021, 4 (12) e202101213.
- Dolly Mehta and Arati Ramesh. “Diversity and prevalence of ANTAR RNAs across actinobacteria”, BMC Microbiology. 21, 159 (2021).
- Kushi Anand, Ashutosh Tripathi, Kaustubh Shukla, Nitish Malhotra, Anilkumar Jamithireddy, Rajiv Kumar Jha, Susmit Narayan Chaudhury, Raju S Rajmani, Arati Ramesh, Valakunja Nagaraja, Balasubramanian Gopal, Ganesh Nagaraju, Aswin Sai Narain Seshayee, Amit Singh. “Mycobacterium tuberculosis SufR responds to nitric oxide via its 4Fe–4S cluster and regulates Fe–S cluster biogenesis for persistence in mice” Redox Biology. 46 (2021) 102062.
- Retracted article: Siladitya Bandyopadhyay, Susmitnarayan Chaudhury, Dolly Mehta and Arati Ramesh. “Discovery of iron-sensing bacterial riboswitches” Nature Chemical Biology, Oct 2020. Important: This publication is now retracted
- Dolly Mehta, Anjali Koottathazhath and Arati Ramesh. “Discovery of ANTAR RNAs and their mechanism of action in mycobacteria” J. Mol. Biol, 2020 Jun 26;432(14):4032-4048.
- Michelle Ninochka D’Souza, Naveen Kumar, Chandappa Gowda, Vishal Tiwari, Rosana Ottakandathil Babu, Praveen Anand, Sudhriti Ghosh Dastidar, Randhir Singh, Bhuvaneish Selvaraja, Rakhi Pal, Arati Ramesh, Sumantra Chattarji, Siddharthan Chandran, Akash Gulyani, Dasaradhi Palakodeti, and Ravi S. Muddashetty. “FMRP Interacts with C/D Box snoRNA in the Nucleus and Regulates Ribosomal RNA Methylation” iScience, 2018, 9, 399-411.
- Arati Ramesh. “Second messenger-sensing riboswitches in bacteria” Seminars in Cell Dev. Biol. 2015 Oct. (Review Article)
- Furukawa K*, Ramesh A*, Zhou Z*, Weinberg Z, Vallery T, Winkler WC and Breaker RR. “Bacterial riboswitches cooperatively bind Ni(2+) or Co(2+) ions and control expression of heavy metal transporters” Mol. Cell. 2015 Mar.
- DebRoy S, Gebbie M, Ramesh A, van Hoof A, Winkler W.C., Garsin D.A (2014). “A riboswitch containing sRNA that controls gene expression by sequestration of a response regulator” Science 2014, Vol 345, 937.
- Ramesh A, Winkler W.C. “Control of gene expression by metabolite-binding ribozymes” BBA Gene Regulatory Mechanisms. Oct 2014, 1839(10):989-994.
- Ramesh A*, DebRoy S*, Goodson J.R, Fox K.A, Faz H, Garsin D.A, Winkler W.C. “The mechanism for RNA recognition by ANTAR regulators of gene expression” PLoS Genetics 2012 June; 8(6). Highlighted in PLoS Genetics. 2012 June;8(6).
- Ramesh A*, Wakeman C.A. and Winkler W.C*. “Insights into metalloregulation by the M-box riboswitch” J. Mol. Biol. 2011 Apr 8; 8 (407):556-570.*Co-corresponding authors
- Ramesh A and Winkler W.C. “Magnesium sensing riboswitches in bacteria” RNA Biology 2010 Jan; 1, 7(77-83).
- Wakeman C.A, Ramesh A, Winkler W.C. “Multiple metal-binding cores are required for metalloregulation by M-box riboswitch RNAs.” J. Mol. Biol. 2009 Sep 25;392(3):723-35.
- Fox KA*, Ramesh A*, Stearns JE, Bourgogne A, Reyes-Jara A, Winkler WC, Garsin DA. “Multiple posttranscriptional regulatory mechanisms partner to control ethanolamine utilization in Enterococcus faecalis.” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 2009 Mar 17;106(11):4435-40.
- Ramesh A, Savva CG, Holzenburg A, Sacchettini JC. “Crystal structure of Rsr, an ortholog of the antigenic Ro protein, links conformational flexibility to RNA binding activity. J. Biol. Chem. 2007 May 18;282(20):14960-7.
- Liu T*, Ramesh A*, Ma Z, Ward SK, Zhang L, George GN, Talaat AM, Sacchettini JC, Giedroc DP. “CsoR is a novel Mycobacterium tuberculosis copper-sensing transcriptional regulator.” Nature Chem. Biol. 2007 Jan;3(1):60-8.